Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Thank You Letter

Dear Mom,

Words cannot describe the gratitude I have for you.  You make my world whole and I will be forever grateful for everything you have done.Without you, I would not have had the strength to come to Cambodia.  Without you, I would not have had the sense of humor to overcome the sense of sadness.  You keep me afloat when I feel like drowning.Without you, I would not be me.

You will never know the effect this journey has had on my soul.  I learned more than I thought possible and I loved more than I could have imagined.  It has made me appreciate all I have and made me believe anything is possible. 

Our hearts will always have holes from Dad's suicide.  It was tragic and turned our lives upside down.  I will struggle with the death for the rest of my life.  I lost a father and you lost a great love too soon.  It hurts and always will but please know that however sad we are, we will survive.  Life is random and not always fair but in the end, let's hope that the good has outweighed the bad.

From now on when I feel sorry for myself, I will think of my babies at Maria Teresa.  I will think of the starving street children with smiles on their faces, making the most of a shit situation.  I will think of their pain and push forward.  I promise to keep myself in check and work hard not to be selfish.

The end of this trip is the start of a new life.  I will say goodbye to Cambodia but only for a short while.  I will return and give more of myself to this country.  Thank you for this opportunity, Mom.  I have more love than hate in my heart and it's all because of you.  I hope that one day I can be a mother like you. 

Love always and forever,

Your not so clueless daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment