Thursday, April 19, 2012

Punch Dancing

Ahhh, my roommate has gone and I have deep cleaned my room.  I feel very productive on this long lunch hour.  I have a week to myself... A week to sleep naked. 

I'm still glowing from my yesterday adventures.  Having Thursdays off has been a real treat.  However, yesterday, was the ULTIMATE treat.  I had planned on staying at nice hotel for my last couple nights but then I found Bodia Spa.  Yhosi (Venezuala) and I entered the oasis and decided to splurge.  We got the top package and after 4 hours of being pampered, we had been reborn.  Who wouldn't be happy with a full body massage, mango facial, body scrub, steam bath, spa filled with hundreds of petals, body mosturizing and pedicure?  It was amazing and I think I made the right choice! 

The new group at the house really enjoys the nightlife.  We have been going nonstop.  Pretty much work all day, party all night.  After our spa day, Yhosi and I came home, changed, ate, and headed out.  We went to a rooftop bar, played pool and had margaritas....  well... I had margaritas while the others drank beer and sweet cocktails.  Yuck.

As I was ordering a drink, talking to Nuno and "punch" dancing to 'Everybodys working for the weekend,' a cutie walked up to me.  He laughed and said, "wow, you're just really gonna go for it!"  I noticed an accent and my ears and those two things that jellyfish like to sting perked up.  He asked where I was from and I asked the same.  He then proceeded to tell me his origin.  Born in Barcelona and lives in England.  Whoa, I hit the backpacker jackpot.  After a bit of chatting, we parted ways and he told me we would talk later. 

I returned to the group and told everyone about my hottie.  We split into different conversations and Yhosi and I had a deep talk.  I learned that her boyfriend's mom committed suicide.  We discussed it and talked about my dad.  It's crazy how this world works and how tiny connections mean so much.  When we had enough of death talk, we played pool.  I was a total hustler and midgame, Barcelona Boy came to ask if we wanted to play doubles.  Because I am so socially awkward, I told him, "only if you punch dance."  He laughed but eventually started dancing.  No one can resist a good, weird dance.  So, we played and talked some more, and then parted ways again to return to our groups. 

Other Emily (England), asked who the guy was.  I told her and she got super excited he lived in her hometown.  She asked if I was single and I of course said yes.  Then she said, "oh, nevermind then."  She obviously wanted to get with him so I responded, "I'm single but he wont be getting anything from me, so you mine as well go after him."  She and I both didn't get how bad that made her sound.  She headed his way. 

More margaritas, more pool and Barcelona Boy kept finding his way back.  It was a self esteem boost, if anything.  Finally around 3am, our group headed home.  It was a great night and even greater that it didn't end with a weird tuk tuk driver.  And even even greater that it didn't end with regret. 

My last week in Cambodia and I WILL be making the most of it.  Even if that means punch dancing and punch dancing some more.

Note:  punch dancing is simply clenching your hands into fists and literally just punching air to the beat of music.  Yes, it is as sexy as it sounds...

No comments:

Post a Comment