Monday, April 2, 2012

Nuns: 1 Emily: 0

These last couple weeks have been filled with holding my tongue around the nuns.  It is frustrating enough when you are trying to discipline a child for biting or hitting you.  Add a nun to the equation and it becomes a million times worse.

Don't get me wrong these women are very nice and have the greatest intentions but they don't have any rules for the children.  Just today, Simone (the boy with Down Syndrome) tried to bite me when I wouldn't let him steal other's food.  I removed him from the table and placed him in his crib.  As he cried, I got down to eye level and explained that stealing and biting are not okay.  My plan was to take him back to the table once he calmed down.  Before I could follow through, a nun came shuffling over and said, "No, he need more food.  Take back to table.  Simone need more food."  I told her that he tried to bite me.  She ignored me, picked him up, hugged him, praised him and returned him to the table.  I clenched my teeth so hard my jaw hurt.  Simone is so intelligent and I see so much potential but he will never be able to function in society if he doesn't learn consiquences.

Yesterday morning I saw a mother drop her new born off.  She had tears in her eyes as she talked with the nuns.  Later, I met this new baby and looked at him with awe.  He is 4 weeks old but doesn't weigh more than 2 lbs.  His skin dangles from his bones and his breathing is quick.  Holding this fragile, malnurished baby for the first time was intense.  I'm in love with him and I hope he doesn't fall ill like past infants.  I want him to become a chubby, happy baby.

I do feel as though I'm making a difference.  Recently, Shylee, the Autistic girl, came and sat on my lap.It was an accomplishment because she so seldom likes to be touched.  I felt so proud that she was starting to trust me.  Soon after, she went on the balcony, took her clothes off and peed...Baby steps. 

My job is always entertaining and I'm never bored.  I honestly love it and I can't wait to go to work every day.  I am exhausted and ready to relax.  It's storming outside with thunder and lightning.  Perfect time to tend to my bug bites, read my book and nod off to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment