Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Orphans at the Water Park

Nothing was going to stop me from going to the water park with the orphans.  No matter what my stomach issues were or if I had a headache.  I was gonna man up and give those babies an excellent day.

When we arrived at the orphanage, almost all the children were dressed in special outfits.  The boys had on pink shirts with beige overalls.  The twins, Lita and Lida had on adorable dresses.  Shylee was wearing a pink shirt with bright red pants.  The nuns had put a diaper on her and she was tearing it off every chance she got.  All the children had looks of complete happiness... Except for Vishna.  My sweet one year old boy was not dressed.  The Cambodian women said he couldn't go because he was sick.  I thought to myself, "I told you so!!!" 

Yesterday, Vishna was running a fever and he was very lethargic.  I kept asking the nuns and workers if he was sick.  They literally laughed in my face.  Every single one of them said, "No, Vishna Tired.  Vishna not hot, he not sick."  Of course I'd hoped I was a total moron for thinking this baby was sick.  But no, I'm not an idiot and when a baby has a fever, wont eat, and can't function.... um.... he's sick! 

Anyway, back to the water park story.Volunteers, nuns, kids, and workers headed downstairs to the "nun-mobile."  Before we could enter, we had to sit through 2 prayers that lasted longer than Gone With The Wind....  Finally in the nunmobile, we started toward the park.  The no air conditioning mixed with more sing-praying was an intresting combination.  I soon tuned out everything except the children.  As my eyes scanned the bus I saw nothing but gleeful smiling kids.  My eyes teared up when I looked at each individual child.  These babies are amused by so little.  They are over the moon about going into the playroom for 2 hours a day.  Now, they were actually getting out of the orphanage and breaking routine.  I cannot describe what I felt because the energy in that bus was beyond words. 

"WATER!!!" screamed Keo, as we pulled into the parking lot.  He jumped into my arms and bounced around.  Entering the park, I saw a HUGE sign explaining the complex water filtration system.  Now, I was excited!  Yay!  Clean water!

...Nope...  no clean water.  Murky, band-aid filled water.  Sharp concrete beneath my feet and dark, damp changing rooms.  But the kids could care less about the clarity of the water.  It was hot and they wanted to swim.  Soke kids loved the slides and some just screamed for their lives.  Every 5 minutes I would be a brat and ask the nuns if they were going down the water slide.  They would laugh and laugh and tell me, "oh no!."  The children with C.P. we carefully carried in the shallow pool.  It must have felt so good on their aching bodies to be completely weightless.

The kids had hamburgers and french fries for lunch.  Shylee picked up scraps of food on the ground with her toes and tried to eat them.  She gathered as many hamburger paties as she could and grasped them firmly in her hand.  It was interesting to watch her hoarding behaviors.  It really made me think of her life.  What she has been through.  This 10yr old girl has obviously struggled to exsist.  She is severely Autistic and it makes me wish she had proper care.  I think she could accomplish great things if given the chance.

After an amazing day, we piled in the van and headed back to the orphanage.  Back to the barred windows.  Back to the 2 hour playroom time.  The twins' mither was waiting to take the girls and you could feel the tension.  We said our goodbyes and parted ways.  Best wishes to Lida and Lita.  They will forever be in my heart.

This day confirmed that I will someday adopt.  I have a deep love for these kids and if I can help just one, I will.  Hell, If I could take one home with me in two weeks, I would.All in good time...




No comments:

Post a Comment