Saturday, April 7, 2012

Did that really just happen!?

What a lovely Sihanoukville vacation..................  I was sick on my birthday but felt better the day after.  I went to a beautiful beach and swam in the ocean.  Little, striped fish and medium crabs swam by me.  It was so much fun and it made me fall in love with the South Coast of Cambodia. 

Most of Saturday night was just as much fun as the day.  We went for dinner, saw fire dancing and drank a bit.  The fire dancers were super sexy, so after a few drinks, I grabbed one and we danced under a black light.  He smelled like lighter fluid and had rough hands.  Aside from the normal tourists, there were quite a few perverts.  This man who was most likely a pimp tried taking photos up my friend, Yosi's dress.  I pushed her legs together and gave the pimp a bitchy look.  With her South American accent, she said, "that creeper juss try to take picture of my poooosy!"  Mixed with the perverts were pretty "lady-men" hookers.  Nuno was very surprised when I pointed one out.  I think he was crushing on he/she and was freaked out when I told him what he/she was. 
Nearing the end of the night Nikki told me she was heading back to the hotel.  I gave her the key and told her to be careful.  I continued to dance with my sexy Cambodian but suddenly came to my senses.  I ran to catch up with her and we started our 5 minute walk back to the hotel.

We made sure we were walking on the correct side of the road.  We passed quite a few motos and politely declined their offers.  Then a moto did a quick u-turn and before I knew it, Nikki was no longer by my side.  I turned around to her yelling and saw her being dagged along the pavement by the moto.  She made the driver and his passenger lose control and they crashed into the divider.  I ran toward her and kept going after the driver.  They were able to get the bike up and going before I could catch them.  The people who witnessed it did nothing to help.  A boy picked up the driver's dropped hat, put it on and walked away. 

My friend was bleeding, crying and I was in total shock.  We went back to the hotel and tried to get the police.  These Russian tourists gave us bandages and antiseptic.  I took Nikki to the room, washed her up and dressed her wounds.  I gave her some pain meds and we made all the necessary calls.  The police weren't coming until the morning so we tried to sleep. 

Both upset and exhausted, we finally shut our eyes around 5am.  Every little noise woke me because I was scared about the theives having our room key.  I awoke at 7am and left my sore, sleeping friend to ask questions of management.  They rang the police again and told us they would come at 10am.  I had little faith they would actually show up. 

To my surprise the police came right around the promised time.  A sweet hotel employee translated for us and Nikki was able to get everything signed and fingerprinted.  The only issue was they needed her to stay one more night so she could talk with the chief of police in the morning.  This was a huge issue.  I wasn't about to leave her there and we both wanted to get back home.  I called Serei, our project manager/angel, on the brink of tears.  He talked with the officers and then informed me we could come home.  Yay!  We couldn't wait to get to Phnom Penh.

Yosi grabbed us a couple tickets on their bus and we hauled ass to the bus station.  I don't even want to think about what I left behind, we were just happy to get out of that horrible province. 

On the 5 hour ride home, Nikki and I had our share of inappropriate laughs, appropriate cries and necessary head shakes.  Sihanoukville had got us and we couldn't believe it.  Dinner was waiting for our group when we arrived home.  After eating, I showered and then attended to Nikki's scrapes and gashes.  She told me I should be a nurse, no doubt.

I am once again happy to be home.  Especially after this interesting weekend filled with many ups and and as many downs.  At least I can honestly say I partied in South East Asia, danced with a hot, sweaty Cambodian and drank from a bucket.  I'm more aware of the dangers here and I will be more careful.  It shook me up but I'm grateful Nikki isn't seriously injured.  Though, no more "snookie"ville for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment