Sunday, April 22, 2012

Emily: motorbike rider

Waking this morning, I had 3 things on my brain.  1) where did all these bug bites come from?  2) I need to ride a motorbike.  3)  I need to see Hunger Games.  After showering and putting ointment on my bites, I made the decision to go to the movies.  I couldn't wait any longer to see Hunger Games.  I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by calling Mr. SEE to drive me to the theater.  I rang my driver and asked him to bring his motorbike.

My legs were shaking as I sat in wait for Mr. SEE.  This was going to be my first time on a motorcycle and of course it had to be in Phnom Penh.  Phnom Penh where motorbike accidents kill more people than land mines.  I was nervous and excited all at once.  Then he pulled up.  I said goodbye to the girls and joked about probably falling off the bike.

I saddled the moto while saying hello to my kind driver.  I probably got a little too close for his comfort and told him it was my first time.  He laughed and said he would go slow and not to worry but I told him to go fast.  We set off and he quickly picked up speed.  This bike had power.  With a huge grin on my face, we swerved in and out of traffic, barely missing other bikes and tuk tuks.  After crossing a few intersections at top speed, without looking, I thought perhaps a helmet should be on my head.  I scooted closer until my chest was touching his sweaty back.  He told me not to worry.  I relaxed and put trust in my experienced driver.

Arriving at the City Mall, I got off the bike with shaky knees and a huge smile.  I paid him and felt a bit naughty doing so.  I loved it.  We said our goodbyes and I went on to my movie.  The movie times on the website were completely wrong.  Hunger Games wasn't starting for another 4 hours.  Instead of pouting, I just got a ticket to A Cabin in the Woods.  It was a hilarious horror movie that I had never heard of.  Totally worth the 3 dollars.  After, I had lunch and finshed my book.  I headed back to the theater and watched Hunger Games.  Amazing.

When I came out of the mall, It was dark.  I was a little nervous catching a random tuk tuk by myself but I managed.  I made sure my driver had a number plate and no alcohol on his breath.  Got home safely to a house full of friendly volunteers.  Serei made more dinner for me and I graciously accepted the meal. 

My final weekend in Cambodia has come to an end.  No more excursions.  No more welcome dinners.  No more late Saturday nights in this beautiful city.  Only 4 more days with my babies.  This is going to be harder than I thought.  How do I say goodbye to all the people I love? 

No comments:

Post a Comment