Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sad babies and 80s music

As I walked into the orphanage today, my eyes immediately went to the new face.  A boy about one year old had a look of pure terror in his eyes.  He was holding on to a Cambodian worker when she shoved him into my arms. 

He cried and cried until I fed him and gave him a rattle.  The children all came to inspect him and they gave him kisses and hugs.  It was incredibly sweet but the baby kept looking around at all the strange new sights and sounds.  When I gave him water, he could barely drink out of a cup.  I got him a bottle and rocked him to sleep.  As soon as his eyes shut, one of the boys threw a tantrum and the noise startled the baby awake.  He would not stop crying for a while after that.  Finally, after countless attempts, he closed his eyes again.  With his head on my chest and hands near my neck, he slept until I left.  I wonder if he will still be there tomorrow because I miss him already.

After work, I came home, drank a cold Pepsi and ate a delicious dinner. I am getting a little tired of white rice though... just a little.  Even when we had finished dinner, my roommate and I craved french fries and frozen yogurt.  So, off to the mall we went.  A few other volunteers were going to a bar that played 80s music, so we met up with them after pigging out.

We had a few cocktails and listened to awesome tunes.  It reminded me of a club called Townhouse in Sacramento and made me miss my best friend.  Later, we went accross the street and played pool.  A nice ladyman took our drink orders and served us peanuts.  After a long day, I'm finally in bed and ready for sleep.  Only one more week in Cambodia.  Only one more week with my new friends.  Only one more week with my babies.  Yep, leaving is going to be hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment