Monday, March 26, 2012

Siem Reap - Part 2

I was so excited for my massage, especially the fact that it was only going to cost 6 bucks.  The place looked clean and well kept.  The girls wanted foot massages so they stayed downstairs.  I wanted a back massage, so I went upstairs.  It was an open room with lots of thin curtains.  I took my top off, layed down and focused on my breathing.  She had good pressure and a nice flow.  But then I heard noises coming from a couple sections away from me.  Man noises.  Happy noises.I cringed and tried not to listen.  Once he finished... I mean left... I enjoyed my lovely 6 dollar massage.

After the massages, we met the rest of the group for dinner.  I was starving and craving chicken.  I ordered a chicken sandwich and a mango smoothie with rum.  When the drinks came, I could barely get it down.  It tasted like powder and I later found out it was.  Now, I had low expectations about the food.  Sure enough, my sandwich tasted sour and rotten.  Gross.  Stephanie's fish dinner had tiny green bugs swimming in her rice.  Double gross.  As we left I stupidly looked through the window leading to the kitchen.  Cockroaches EVERYWHERE!  Imagine the worst amount of cockroaches you can and triple it.  That's how bad it was.  Triple gross.  By the end of the night, I had had enough of Siem Reap.  I was grumpy, disgusted and ready for bed.

The next morning, I awoke in a good mood.  I had a yummy breakfast at the hostel and had a fresh outlook on Siem Reap.  Soon after breakfast, Stephanie and I went into town for our cooking class while the others took off to the floating villages. 

Our class was at a nice restaurant named Le Tigre de Papier.  (I know I butchered the spelling).  We had a great group and had loads of fun.  The class began with a trip to the market.  We bought fresh, Cambodian lyche and watched fresh coconut be ground.  The whole experience was amazing.  I'm now a master chef in Fish Amok, papya salad, banana flower salad, Cambodian curry and noodles with vegetables.  When class ended we had to haul ass to the bus station.  We got there just as the bus was leaving.  Phew!  Things were looking up in good ol' Siem Reap! 

The 8 hour bus ride would have been better IF a) there weren't 100+ mosquitos.  b) if a person hadn't brought on fish.  c)  if the girl behing me didn't barf.  d)  if a dad would'nt have let his daughter poop just outside the bus for everyone to see.  e)  if the driver hadn't had drove like a maniac. 

Home at last.  Goodbye Siem Reap, It was real, but I'm a Phnom Penh girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment