Sunday, March 25, 2012

Child Psychology

Working at the orphanage this week has educated me in more ways than one.  Not only have I mastered the cloth diaper but I also have payed attention to the mentality and lack of education with the nuns and care takers.  Everything from calling an Autistic girl, "mental" to telling a child that his family did not want him.I'm quite disgusted with the way these babies are mentally abused.

Getting to the orphanage on Friday morning, I could already hear the cries of multiple children.  I walked in the door and it was yet again, complete chaos.  I picked up the nearest crying baby and tried to gather the others to the playroom.Vishna, the crying baby, screamed if I sat him down for a second.  So that baby stayed on my hip the whole day...  The two twin girls cried and fought the entire time and the Carribean nun made sure to give her two cents about everything. 

I saw through the barred door that the autistic girl (no one knows her name) wanted in the playroom.  I excitedly went to let her in and told her to come have fun.  The Carribean nun stopped me and told me no.  She said, "that girl mental!  Do not let her in!  She'll rip and make mess.  She not right in head.  She mental!"  She yelled at the girl and forced her down the stairs.  I was furious and came close to yelling at the nun.  Instead, I politley said, "She's not mental.  She has autism and she just  needs more care.  I was ignored so I went back to giving Vishna attention.  Vishna is the baby I wrote of in a past post.  He was found on the streets 2 weeks ago. 

While entertaining the kids, A one yr old boy came to play.  One of the twin girls came after and he got upset and attempted to bite her.  Caribbean nun spanked him and told him to get away.  I gave him a stern look and he walked toward me.  He obviously needed attention, so I said "no bite" and that he could play.  Caribbean told me not to give him attention.  Argh! 

After playtime (a measly 30 minutes), we went downstairs.  I changed diapers, sang songs and avoided Caribbean.  There was a 2 year old boy constantly sobbing his eyes out.  Apparently he had just been dropped off in the morning.  Lovely.  So this poor, malnurished baby was scared and sad.  He had a small towel that he had brought from home.  A Cambodian worker tried taking it from him and got annoyed when he cried for it.  He was a mess and obviously did not want to eat.  She tried forcing him to and finally another volunteer stepped in.  When he calmed down Caribbean came waddling in to try and feed the child.  He refused her as well, so she said, "your family didn't want you.  What do you expect us to do?  Your family not want you so now you here."  Ugh!!

After not getting enough attention, the Autistic girl wet herself.  With Vishna glued to my hip, I stripped her, bathed her and looked for clean clothes.  A Cambodian woman took over and forcefully put the clothes on and then pushed her away. 

I worry for the childrens' mental health.  Clean clothes and food can only care for a child so much.  The kids need positivity and they need professional care.  There is such hypocracy running through the orphanage walls.  They have posters of Jesus which teach patience, no shame and tollerance towards children.  It's time they practice what they preach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment