Monday, March 19, 2012

Orientation

Today was orientation at the volunteer house.  We had a short history lesson on the rooftop and learned some important Khmer phrases.  The only ones I can remember is muy, pii, bei (1,2,3) and buy (rice).  I guess I better practice some more...  All of us volunteers learned our placements.  Some girls got placed as far as Siem Reap and Pursat.  I'm glad I'm staying in Phnom Penh.  It's more centrally located and I've made quite a few friends.  I am placed at an orphanage for smaller children.  It's called The Mother Teresa Orphanage.It's called Maria Theresa.  I was told it's more playing with the children and feeding them.  I'm really excited.  At this point I could give a crap that it's a religion-based orphanage.  I'm just ready to start helping the babies.  :)

After the lessons on the rooftop, we ate a fresh lunch of bell pepper, mango salad, rice and cabbage soup.Soooo good.  Once our tummies were full, we hopped on a bus and started our tour of Phnom Penh.  I got a look at the more established parts of the city.  Phnom Penh has cleaner areas with lots of wealth.  But the gap between the wealthy and poor is incredibly big.  I believe they said 90% of the population are farmers.  The first stop was at the stadium.  It was HUGE and as scary as it were big.  I tried really hard to conceal my fear of heights...  I think I did okay.  

Next we traveled to the S21 Museum.This is where Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge regime tortured their victims before sending them to the killing fields.  It was disturbing to say the least.  The empty metal beds, the photos of pain and the blood-stained concrete made me feel sick.  I think I've had enough of Pol Pot and his disgusting imprint on the country. I'm ready to focus only on the beauty of Cambodia.

We finished our tour at the Russian Markets.  It reminded me of the markets in Mexico, only bigger, more "fragrant" and cheap!  I bought a silk scarf, a light pullover and some pants for just around 6 dollars.  I talked them down just a bit.  I'll be a pro at purchasing from the markets in no time.  By the time we left, the dress I was wearing was soaked with sweat.  We came home and immediately washed our feet and faces. 

Tonight we are going to have a BBQ on the rooftop.  I'm so tired, I hope I sleep well.  Last night I had a nightmare that a half man was crawling like a crab up the stairs to my room.  Analyze that one for me, Freud.

No comments:

Post a Comment