Friday, March 16, 2012

Second Thoughts

Yesterday was very tough.  After promptly being picked up from the airport, I took a 45 minute tuk tuk (a motorcyle with a carriage attached) ride to the volunteer house.  Riding through the dust-filled streets, I saw things I had never before seen.  The poverty, the animal cruelty and the horrible driving made my eyes and brain hurt.
A few girls said hi to me when I entered the house and then I was shown my room.  After climbing 3 stories, I entered my living space and immediately felt sick and overwhelmed.  The first thing that came to mind was, "how am I going to make it?"  I honestly thought of booking a flight home right then.  My room is small, smoldering and has no window to the outside.  I was alone, afraid and cluesless in Cambodia.  I shut the door, layed down on my bed and cried until I couldn't cry anymore.  I took some Xanax but even that didn't help.  I tried coming downstairs to socialize with the other volunteers but they were busy planning their trip to Siem Reap and didn't have much time for me.  So, I went back to my sauna - I mean room....  I proceeded to sleep through lunch and dinner.  Around 2:00am, I got up, took a cold shower, brushed my teeth and put my pjs on.  I crawled back in bed and tried to calm myself down.  This was happening and I had to suck it up and deal with it.  Closing my eyes, I hoped things would get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment