Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Let's Make Fun of Autism

Home from my placement and quite annoyed.  Today, I held the one month old, Pissat.  As much as that relaxed me, I still came home pissed off.  I don't enjoy watching disabled children be mistreated and I don't enjoy watching the kids without disabilities get rewarded for bad behavior.  ...Makes my skin crawl.

While holding Pissat, I watched the children who have CP get fed their meals.  The Cambodian women drag them by their legs to a dirty mat and shove a blended rice mixture into their mouths.  I know VERY little on how to care for CP children but I'm pretty sure yanking their leg isn't great.  When the women saw me see them they looked at me and laughed nervously.  They obviously knew this wasn't okay. 

Before the other kids had lunch Skylee (the girl with Autism), skipped over to the Cambodian women.  They made fun of her until she came running over to me in tears.  She doesn't speak but I knew why she was upset.  Skylee is always smiles so to see her cry broke my heart.  I know the Cambodian women are not edjucated and I try to take this under consideration.  But I gave some downright dirty looks to these workers today. 

On the other side of the discipline spectrum are the nuns.  These sisters do not know the first thing about caring for children.  Many of the kids are turning into spoiled, ungrateful brats.  When they cry or throw tantrums, they are given treats.  I worry that prospective adoptive parents will see this behavior and be turned off.  These children are so sweet but they need proper discipline in order to become good human beings.  No, I'm not talking about spanking or hitting.  A simple time out would suffice.  But instead of a 5 minute tantrum-filled time out, they get their way or treats. 

A favorite treat are balloons.  It might be just me, but I think giving deflated balloons to children all under the age of four is dumb as heck.  One year olds are allowed to run around with them in their mouths.  They can can tear them, blow them up, pop them and ultimately eat them.  Yesterday I saw a disabled girl had a whole blue balloon in her mouth.  Why was I the only one upset by this!? 

It's frustrating because I can only do so much.  6 weeks is not long enough but it is all I have.  I hope I can teach the Cambodian women that making fun of Autism is not okay.However, if they don't have the instinct to be good human beings already, then it's pointless. 

I worry for Skylee as well as all the other children.  I want them to be good people and have good educations.  I want them to be kind to one another even if others are different.  I want them to love animals and treat them with respect.  I have four weeks left...   shit...

No comments:

Post a Comment